Most Online Today: 11
Most Online Ever: 98
(February 09, 2016, 02:49:56 AM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Poll

What type of convention would you like Anime NebrasKon to become in the next 3-5 years?

Industry Convention (hear from guests about the state of video games, upcoming Japanese/American/British TV shows, latest subculture fashion trends, etc.)
1 (3.6%)
Cosplay-Centered Convention (focus on becoming a World Cosplay Summit Qualifier, inviting more cosplay guests and including more programming towards craftsmanship)
1 (3.6%)
Meet-Up/"Networking" Convention (making our convention as easy as possible to facilitate meeting people with similar interests/hobbies and being able to stay in contact with con attendees after the convention)
5 (17.9%)
Having all of the above available, but at a much larger scale!
21 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: May 06, 2014, 03:43:19 PM

Author Topic: What type of convention would you like Anime NebrasKon to become?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Samantha Raper

• Guest Relations Staff
  • Staff
    • View Profile
    • Ramblings and Reblogs (tumblr)
We want YOU to tell us what type of convention you would like Anime NebrasKon to become!

Feel free to add comments/ask questions in replies to this thread.
~*NebrasKon 2015 Cosplays*~
Asami Sato - The Legend of Korra
Peasant Belle - Disney's Beauty and the Beast

Offline Angela Conner

• View Profile
Re: What type of convention would you like Anime NebrasKon to become?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »
Personally I would love for Anime Nebraskon to become a little less Anime centralized. Although they do a great job of covering other topics I would love to see more of that. I think it would really help NebrasKon grow and thrive in the Omaha area as we are missing a more general convention for everything and NebrasKon could definitely fill that void.

Offline Molly K

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
Maybe as a  staff member, my opinion counts for a little less, but I would really love to see our convention open up into new avenues of geek culture and hobbies.  :D  I feel like the anime fans of today have branched out quite a  bit, interweaving with comic books, video games, film and television, and more.  Most conventions I've been to are willing to cater to all types of geeks, and I'd love to see NebrasKon become a leader in that all-inclusive attitude.

Offline StrangeBunny

• View Profile
    • StrangeBunny Cosplay
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »
I'm mainly into conventions for the cosplay, and would love to attend more panels/meet more guests relating to that.

Offline Penny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
I personally like the idea of Nebkon being a balanced con, not to focused on one thing. I've always liked how the con is really open and inviting. There's always plenty going on, but you can still have a good time. Having a good variety of panels, particularly ones a lot of people can attend, ie general or fun panels, is always nice. And as Molly and Angela said, most people have more than one interest, and Nebkon has, at least it seems to me, been good at supporting that, so seeing that continue would be good.

So I guess when looking at the specific poll options, like industry or cosplay focused, just making sure there are things for everybody and not just people who are really into those specific areas, but also keeping up with things for the more casual/relaxed person, who may like cosplay, but would rather go to photoshoots with others than say compete in the cosplay contest.
Nebkon 2014 Cosplay Lineup!
Fri - ?? ?? Probably whatever I wear for school, or maybe Miria Harvent (Baccano!)
Sat - Musketeer!Axel (Kingdom Hearts) and Chef!Haru (Free!)
Sun - Roy Mustang (Come join us at the photoshoot!)

Offline Nick Schneider

• Director of Attendee Relations
  • Global Moderator
  • LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Account
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »
I personally like the idea of Nebkon being a balanced con, not to focused on one thing. I've always liked how the con is really open and inviting. There's always plenty going on, but you can still have a good time. Having a good variety of panels, particularly ones a lot of people can attend, ie general or fun panels, is always nice. And as Molly and Angela said, most people have more than one interest, and Nebkon has, at least it seems to me, been good at supporting that, so seeing that continue would be good.

So I guess when looking at the specific poll options, like industry or cosplay focused, just making sure there are things for everybody and not just people who are really into those specific areas, but also keeping up with things for the more casual/relaxed person, who may like cosplay, but would rather go to photoshoots with others than say compete in the cosplay contest.

That's about how Steam Sales go

Offline Amanda Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »
I like that it is a very open convention.  Nebraskon is my only anime convention I get to go to and I'd love to see it stay so welcoming.  I don't think "lessening" the anime quite what is being stated above as that is what brings a vast number to the convention, but perhaps broadening our nerd culture and balancing it a bit, more options yet not taking away from what we have already.  Anime is what drew me to the con, and it's the #1 reason I attend.  What can I say- I'm anime otaku!  If we were to focus strictly on Industry, Cosplay, or Social I think Nebkon would loose what makes it special...

I like that this convention has a little of everything, and want it to remain that way but BIGGER!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:31:07 PM by Amanda Rogers »
2015 Cosplays: Misao (Rurouni Kenshin), Joe Shimamura (Cyborg 009), Hige (Wolf's Rain)

Offline HappySephy

• 44 is JUST a number!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 12:45:47 AM »
I also have voted for the balanced con idea.  As a panelist, I realize that I can't get all of my panel types approved at certain "anime cons" due to the subject not being pure Japanese.  But with Nebraskon, I have the freedom to do "open ended" panels that can be enjoyed by all types of fans.  Sure, Cosplay Combat does center on people in cosplay, but the fun part is that we have had non-Japanese cosplays participate with just as much fun as those that are "traditional."  And having attended this convention for 4 out of the past 5 years, I have seen quite a few non-Japanese centric panels... and that is what helps make Nebraskon fun and worth attending on a yearly basis.  No wonder it's one of my favorite cons in my schedule!  Thanks for reading this.

Offline Clandestine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
I go to Nebkon for the people. I love how welcoming and fun everyone is and I enjoy everyone's enthusiasm for cosplay and having a good time.

The only thing is since I'm not huge on anime and I don't watch as much as most people who attend I often don't have panels that I am enthusiastic about going to. (Often I attend with friends who know more)

So I'd love to see more diversity in the panels. Like more video game panels and pop culture, and even more shows that aren't anime like a Game of Thrones panel or Walking Dead. Those kinds of things I'd be running to go to!

Offline Miss Rarity

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 12:32:15 AM »
I voted for the first because it's the closest though not exactly what I would want. I like "Industry conventions" but would prefer it to be about strictly anime rather than "Japanese/American/British TV shows, latest subculture fashion trends, etc." I like going to different conventions for different things and generally like the idea of doing one thing well rather than being a jack of all trades. Just my two cents.

Offline yakeyiehl

• sugoi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »
I like the idea of having it an encompassing sort of con. I've gone to other conventions where they are more overall cosplay oriented and being that I only cosplay for a couple hours, or not at all during a conventions weekend, I felt kind of out of place and there wasn't a lot to offer. I agree with everyone that most people do have more than just a couple interests at a con, and i think focusing only on certain aspects of cultures, anime and lifestyles would pull away from the diversity of Nebraskon

+-Recent Topics

Homestuck Panel? Would anyone be interested? by Badmasteryoujerk
August 15, 2016, 10:54:55 PM

Looking for roommates to save on hotel costs by artisticClarity
August 13, 2016, 03:26:46 PM

Who are you? by Jerred Akins
July 15, 2016, 03:24:22 AM

Who would be interested in a Games Repainted fan panel? by Trigger215
May 22, 2016, 12:20:35 AM

Charity Auction 2016 by Wilwarin
February 10, 2016, 12:29:59 PM

+-Today's Birthdays