Total Topics: 96
Most Online Today: 11
Most Online Ever: 98
(February 09, 2016, 02:49:56 AM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Author Topic: Who are you?  (Read 10504 times)

Offline Samantha Raper

• Guest Relations Staff
  • Staff
    • View Profile
    • Ramblings and Reblogs (tumblr)
Who are you?
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:38:37 AM »
Tell us who you are and a little about yourself! If you work for the convention, please tell where.

I'll start!

You may call me Sam or Thumper. I have been attending Anime NebrasKon since 2010 and for 2010-2011 I was there representing Naka-Kon's PR sector. As of last year, I became a member of the Beagles (help desk) as well as a member of our Guests Staff. Then, earlier this year I was promoted to Social Media Team Lead and I will be returning as a member of our Guests Staff as well.

I graduated from Wichita State University in December 2012 with a bachelor's degree in Education, but I was denied a teaching license, so I can't teach in the state of Kansas. In the future, I will likely attempt a masters degree in Library Science through Emporia State, which has a mostly online program.

My hobbies include playing League of Legends, spending way too much time on Facebook and tumblr, watching anime, and occasionally reading.
~*NebrasKon 2015 Cosplays*~
Asami Sato - The Legend of Korra
Peasant Belle - Disney's Beauty and the Beast

Offline Nick Schneider

• Director of Attendee Relations
  • Global Moderator
  • LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Account
Re: Who are you?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »
*cracks knuckles*

WHO AM I!? WHO ARE YOU?!

Oh...wait...

You may call me Nick, Schneider, DAS SCHNEIDO, ThunderGod, or "That Beagle Guy." My hometown is Lincoln, Nebraska, however I now live in Omaha, Nebraska (2011- present). I have been attending Anime NebrasKon LITERALLY since the beginning in 2004. NebrasKon was -actually- my second convention to attend (Anime Iowa being my first). In 2005, I decided to volunteer for the convention. As of Saturday of that year, I was officially staff. The only reason I say that is...well...they trusted me with running the dealers room for 10 hours that day. Suffice to say we weren't exactly super duper organized back in those days.

I've been through a number of positions through the convention. In 05-06 I was Webmaster, 07' I was Advertising, 08-09' I was Guest Relations Lead, and from 2010 on I have been blessed with being in charge of something of my own creation,  The Beagles (Also known as "The Attendee Relations Committee (of awesomeness)"). 2014 will be my 10th NebKon staffing and my 11th NebKon attending. 

I have been known to staff other conventions in the past. I worked with OSFES from 2008 - 2011 in some capacity and I staffed Naka-Kon in 2012 as registration/infodesk.

I unfortunately do not have a degree in anything. Yet I lord over Sam, so I have that going for me. Which is nice. I did graduate from Lincoln East Highschool in 2003, which I also have going for me, that is also nice. I turn the big 3-0 this year. Woo. I do however have several dreams, two of which have absolutely nothing to do with the other. One is becoming a firefighter, the other is a sekret. :P  Above all else though, all I really care about in the world is the well being of my friends and family. As long as that is fine, I am content with my life.

My hobbies include a wide verity of things. I'm an avid anime watcher (since I was 13, no less. Holy crap, when I turn 33, I'll have been watching Anime for 20 years. Good heavens.), a moderate gamer (League of Legends w/Sam. Fave games of recent memory would include Skyrim and Borderlands 2), an avid social media maniac, and the occasional meditation sessions. Oh, I reddit. Reddit is literally the first site I visit before leaving for work in the morning. Oh, and I LURVE football. GO BIG RED!

That's about how Steam Sales go

Offline Admin

• Director of Promotions
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »
I am uel. I work as webmaster and entertainment director for NebKon.

I've been with NebKon since 2010, when I helped run the game room. 2011 I helped tech, 2012 I helped volunteers, and in 2013 I took a few jobs that needed done and rolled them into the entertainment department.

You can also find me staffing OSFES, where I've been day of staff since 2011.

Like Schneider I don't have a degree, but he graduated high school the year I started.

I've been watching anime since the year I was born, starting with Miyazaki and Ninja Scroll, then watched all of the Toonami greats. My first paycheck was spent buying Evangelion and Sailor Moon.

My hobbies are gaming.

Offline Amanda Pires

• May the Odds Be Ever In My Favor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
ello

Amanda here. AKA Merci

I attending my first NebrasKon back in 2006 when i was in college. I am originally from Hawaii, but moved back here to be with my bf in 2013. I just attending the 2013 NebrasKon and was surprised how much had changed and was very happy to have seen Dante Basco.

I am a small time cosplayer but lately I've drifted to the lolita scene.

I got my B.S and my M.S. and I am currently a research technician at a university.

I have the usual hobbies like anyone else here i suppose (anime, manga, scifi, art, fashion).

I look forward to what NebrasKon has in store for 2014

Offline Erin Olsen

• Vice Director of Entertaiment department
  • Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »
Hi, my name is Erin. I am the Vice Director of the Entertainment department for Anime NebrasKon.  Uel is my department head, so he is my boss. We do all of the super fun things such as the dance party and the room party block.

My hobbies include reading (my favorite series hands down is the Dragonlance series.), playing video games (mostly fantasy ones such as Baldur's Gate.), and watching documentaries because I am boring. I also enjoy 2nd edition D&D.

I started volunteering for Anime NebrasKon in 2009, and in 2012 I finally joined staff.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:50:45 PM by Erin Olsen »
~~I'm just a little black rain cloud, pay no attention to little me.~~

Offline sivarT

• View Profile
    • Everything
I am me.

Most people call me Travis or Trav.

I've been in love with anime since 1985 before I even understood what it was called.  I haven't stopped and I doubt I ever will.  I also enjoy electronics, computers, and solving various computer hardware and software problems.  I'm a retired artist, but it wasn't by choice, and hope to some day be able to create again.  I love the Elder Scrolls games and I'm really loving Elder Scrolls Online MMORPG.  I also play EVE Online.

I have big feet, red hair, and a wicked sense of humor.  I'm a bit of a sociophobe in person, but I'm really social online, and maybe almost too social.  I've had a lot of good things and a lot of bad things happen in my life, and I accept them all, for without them I wouldn't be the awesome person I am today.
If you must hate something, then hate ignorance.

The chickens have landed and are ready to take over the world.  Boy do they look pissed.

Offline Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »
Howdy howdy.  8)

My name is Holly and I'm originally from Kansas but I moved to Nebraska in November 2009 to follow a job. Surprised me quite a bit that there was a convention that had been so close to me yet I hadn't heard of it (ran in the wrong circles I guess). I didn't have a chance to go to NebrasKon '09, but I've been going since '10 and did my first cosplays in '11.  My cosplays haven't changed much but I am putting one on retire because I've decided that the last day of Nebraskon is my casual day.

Offline Amanda Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:06 AM »
Hi!

I'm Amanda!

I'm 26 and from the Tri-City area of Nebraska.  My first Nebkon was in 2012, where I cosplayed Liz Thompson from Soul Eater, with my roommate as Patty (we look kinda like twins IRL ^^), and my brother as DtK.  This was also my first official cosplay, and perhaps one of the most memorable as to how we met another team DtK (lol).  In 2013 I planned some more and was able to go all 3 days, you may have seen me as White Mokona (Tsubasa), Young Genkai (Yu Yu Hakusho), and Mephisto (Blue Exorcist)!  Mephisto will be returning to Nebkon 2014- he's one of my favorite cosplays!

I have a dark sense or humor and am slightly demented if you ask my coworkers and family.  ^^  I tend to read/watch fantasy based anime/manga, and am a huge fan of Asian Dramas (shojo in particular).  I also like to write fantasy novels of my own as a hobby and one day hope to publish a really good one!

2015 Cosplays: Misao (Rurouni Kenshin), Joe Shimamura (Cyborg 009), Hige (Wolf's Rain)

Offline HappySephy

• 44 is JUST a number!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 06:27:08 AM »
Hello everyone!  Time to "reintroduce" myself... :o

I'm Scott M., but I'm best known in the Midwest Anime Con scene as Happy Sephy... one of the older cosplayers and attendees for anime conventions in this area.  Been going to conventions since 2007 and attending Nebraskon since 2009.  Had to miss last year due to a financial emergency.  This year I plan to be there in full force.

As for being an anime fan, you can set the "Way Back Machine" to 1980 when I watched a Getter Robo movie and became hooked!  Robotech after school in 1984 also helped fuel my love for anime.  Didn't start actually collecting shows until 1997 when I picked up my first VHS anime title...  "Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture!"  And the rest is history.  BTW, Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Toonami are my favorite portals for anime watching!

In addition to cosplaying as some of my favorite characters (Jiraiya, America, Kirito, and Dr. Wily for example), I also host a nice variety of panels.  Some of those include fan favorites Cosplay Combat and Anime Truth or Dare.  Well, I'm not quite on the same level of panel hosting epicness like Lathan and Tony or even Rob "Vash" Lewis, but I do look to them for quite a bit of inspiration. 

Finally, I will also mention The Otaku Boys... a small group of friends that help me with both panels and skits (when we have the time to act in them!).  Some of our acting includes two award winning skits (at other cons...   :'(  ) as well as something done a few years back called the "Dragon Ball Z Lightbulb Arc."  Look for it on YouTube!

Now... let's see if I can get my post count back up to the several thousand it was before the forum reboot...   :P

Offline Mark Maiefski

• Staff
  • Now what did we learn?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.midwintercomic.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »
My name is Dende.

Seriously though my name is Mark Maiefski and I am head of medical at anime nebraskon.

I used to work as both a CNA and an EMT though I have actually moved away from the medical field during my years on staff. I now work as chief editor for ReVision Studios and make comics for a living :3. I'm a pretty open and happy person so feel free to message me any questions!

My favorite animes are: Ghost in the shell, Baka no test, Spice & Wolf, Speed Grapher, and Strait Jacket.
My favorite Games are: System Shock, Saya No Uta, Civilization V, Front Mission 4, and Starbound.
My favorite RPGs are: 2nd ed. D&D, Paranoia, Shadowrun, Obsidian, and Call of Cthulhu.

Offline Dl_Sarbo

• Staff
  • Ben M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
Hello,

I am ben the dark lord of industry & business for Anime Nebraskon and I have been in my current position with Anime Nebraskon since 2011 and other miscellaneous positions since 2009. I am going to skip the long and boring back story and just say "anything prior to my service to Anime Nebraskon has been sealed by edict of the Holy Inquisition." When I am not working on nebkon stuff(mind you that about a good chunk of my free time), i enjoy playing pen and paper rpgs, warhammer 40k, tv, video games, and selling my services to other conventions (right now mainly east cost cons with plans on hitting west coast circuit).
Director of Industry Relations
Anime Nebraskon
NJAS, a 501c3 Non-Profit Organization

Offline Dchanotaku

• Staff
  • Dillon K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
...This feels weird, being able to introduce myself with my IRL name on a forum, but here goes...

My name is Dillon Kaarstad, aka D-chan, and I'm head of the Vendors Room.  Own an anime store or create your own artwork and want to sell at our convention?  Talk to me (except for this year, this year we're full all ready)!  Even though our Vendors room is full for 2014, talk to me anyway so that I can let you know when our 2015 sign-ups are ready!  I've been one of those weird staffers that have held the same position for more than two years as Vendors Coordinator for six years now (Sarbo's my "con boss"). 

I went to NebrasKon (my first convention) in 2007, volunteered for most of it and in 2008 I was given the Vendors room position.  My husband Cody does Night Ops for NebrasKon (although he went to NebKon since 2006 he and I started staffing at the same time), and up until the last two years his birthday fell during NebKon.

I have a bachelor's degree in Journalism and Mass Communications from UNL, and it has been very helpful for both my convention duties and job history (two years selling things on eBay for a pawn shop, more recently daycare for a family I know).  Unrelated to education but I have two daughters: Eevee (22 mos) and Freya (2 weeks), and they haven't been in any cute cosplays yet, but there's always time to do that lol.

I've watched anime since Sailor Moon (and DBZ) first aired in the U.S., and I guess I've always had a thing for the "nerdy guy" (seriously my first crushes were Peter Parer and Billy from Power Rangers).  While I like watching anime and playing video games, I tend to "binge" on a few things and then have nothing to do with games or new shows for months.  Right now thanks to Freya being born I'm on the "binging" part of TV-watching and just recently finished Spice and Wolf, Blue Exorcist, Samurai Champloo, and caught up on Jojo's Bizarre Adventures (with more series to follow in the next few weeks). 

Offline Emily Rose

• Staff
  • Volunteers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:03:41 AM »
Hi my name is Emily. I've been going to the convention since 2009 and only started staffing this last year. I am one of the youngest on staff. During the convention I am normally helping with volunteers or doing other occasional stuff such as helping registration a little when they need it. I just enjoy helping everyone. I have never been able to cosplay, but the first few years I did take quiet a few photos.
I haven't graduated high school just yet so I don't have any degree. Outside of nebraskon I try to get out into other communities of people as much as I can possible be.

Offline Ashley Vogel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
Hi.
My name is Ashley. I'm from Council Bluffs, but spend way too much time in Omaha. I started attending Anime NebrasKon in 2011. I studied at Iowa Western Community College, but left for personal reasons. I'm a repeat Shilo Wallace (Repo! The Genetic Opera) cosplayer since it's well-loved. I'm a horror movie fan and I love obscure movies like White: Melody of the Curse, Repo! The Genetic Opera, Antiviral and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I've never really watched a lot of anime. I've seen InuYasha, Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo and Avatar: The Last Airbender (I know it's an American anime so to speak).

My hobbies include: playing RuneScape, reading, volunteering at Gateway of Chaos Professional Haunted House Attraction and developing my skills in horror/SFX makeup.
*~NebKon Cosplays 2014~*
Friday: Regina Mills- Once Upon A Time
Saturday: Shilo Wallace- Repo! The Genetic Opera
Saturday Night: Magenta- RHPS
Sunday: Rogue- X-Men: Evolution

*The Zombie Apocalypse is gonna happen. It's not a matter of if, but when.*

Offline Cassie Niemeier

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 07:05:11 PM »
Yo I be Cassie. My roommate calls me Sassy because the sass and sarcasm never stops.
I was child Link last year on Friday and Saturday and then Ed on Sunday.
I have a handful of cosplays, most of which I found by taking pieces from goodwill and "cutting and pasting" things together. My Sally cosplay is made out of a bunch of button up shirts for an example of cutting and pasting. I can sew and crochet and knit and all that jazz. I've found out that I'm decent at making/fixing up shoes so I have that oddball talent. o.o
I'd like to get more involved with helping but I also would like to get over this horrendous inability to hold a conversation... I'm more of a listener unless you get on the right subject...
I was raised on super heroes and Zelda games, I'm only really just starting to get into anime. I watch some Doctor Who, but mostly because it's something my sisters watch as well, and Supernatural. I'm getting into Game of Thrones and I'm starting to read my dad's old comic books. Anyone a Fables fan?
Cosplays which are probably gonna change depending on things....
Friday- Sally, or Elsa(Let it Go gown)...maybe
Saturday Morning- Majora's Mask Link
Saturday Night- Allen Walker or Sally if I do the cosplay contest.
Sunday- Rin Okumara... The only one I know for sure.

+-Recent Topics

Homestuck Panel? Would anyone be interested? by Badmasteryoujerk
August 15, 2016, 10:54:55 PM

Looking for roommates to save on hotel costs by artisticClarity
August 13, 2016, 03:26:46 PM

Who are you? by Jerred Akins
July 15, 2016, 03:24:22 AM

Who would be interested in a Games Repainted fan panel? by Trigger215
May 22, 2016, 12:20:35 AM

Charity Auction 2016 by Wilwarin
February 10, 2016, 12:29:59 PM

+-Today's Birthdays